- 5 oz bread flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp yeast
- 10 oz bread flour plus more for dusting
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1.5 tsp kosher salt
- In a small bowl combine 1/4 tsp of yeast, 5 oz of flour, and 1/2 cup water. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 8 to 24 hours. This is known as a sponge.
- Combine sponge and 10 oz of flour. Add remaining yeast and salt then kneed/mix using a mixer with a dough hook for 10 minutes while slowly adding in water and milk until the dough is smooth.
- Lightly oil a bowl.
- Add the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 to 2 hours. Fold dough onto itself 8 times every 30 minutes.
- Form dough into a square and split into 3 even pieces. Be careful to not knock any air out of the dough.
- Fold the top 3rd of a square down to the middle of the square
- Fold the bottom half the dough upto the top edge of the dough
- Gently roll the dough into a sausage roughly 8 inches in length
- Place hoagie rolls onto parchment sheets dusted with flour. Cover with large plastic bags and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Dust rolls lightly, slash down the middle, and cook at 450 F for 25 minutes.
Recipe in depth
This recipe can be shaped into loaves or boules.