- In a small bowl combine 1/4 tsp of yeast, 5 oz of flour, and 1/2 cup pineapple juice. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 8 to 24 hours. This is known as a sponge.
- Combine sponge, flour, sugar, vanilla, pineapple juice, water, and milk. Add remaining yeast and salt then kneed/mix using a mixer with a dough hook for 10 minutes until the dough is smooth. Dough should still be wet.
- Lightly oil a bowl.
- Add the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise for 1 to 2 hours. Fold dough onto itself 8 times every 30 minutes.
- Form into 4-5 balls then stretch the top of the ball and tuck it down under the bottom of the ball.
- Place buns onto parchment sheets dusted with flour. Cover with large plastic bags and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Cook at 450 F for 25 minutes.